By now you’ve probably heard quite a bit about the benefits of mindfulness and meditation- both physical and mental. From re-energizing your body and mind to help you work through relationships and emotions, meditation has been linked to great health benefits. You might be intimidated to begin meditation if you’ve never done it before, but these easy tips might help to make it seem less daunting.
- Make time for meditation. We get it- you have a busy schedule and your lifestyle might not allow for much free time. Carving out ten or twenty minutes from your schedule ahead of time will help you to incorporate this quiet time without feeling pressured or rushed.
- Free your mind of expectation. People often worry that meditation is all about clearing your mind. More than that, it is about being comfortable with the mind. Stay curious about the process but don’t worry about clearing your head if it is challenging at first.
- Enjoy the time to rest. This is a peaceful time to focus on you, and only you. You are away from work and worries and responsibilities. Enjoy the peace and quiet.
- Take the time you need. Meditation may not come as naturally for you in the beginning. It can be hard to ease yourself into something you aren’t used to. Keep in mind that results will not be immediate and meditation can be a long-term commitment to experience these benefits.
- Just go for it! Getting started is the hardest part, but what have you got to lose? Give it a shot.
Click here to read more from Huff Post’s The Third Metric.