For many people, the addict’s life was exhilarating and wildly fun. Although it came with some great costs, it was still a good time. When an addict gets sober, they might easily feel that life without getting drunk or high is boring and lacks excitement. Nonetheless, most people who have chosen to get sober realize that the costs are too great and they would not return to that lifestyle. But, what do you do to keep your life exciting?
Below are some ideas about how to stay actively engaged with life, how to feel like life is fun and exhilarating without the use of substances:
- -Visit a place you’ve never been to in the past.
- -Go to a social club and make a new friend.
- -Say “I love you” to someone.
- -Go to a Broadway play or a theater presentation.
- -Send a card to someone you love.
- -Take a class to learning something new.
- -Smile to those you pass on the street.
- -Focus on taking good care of your body.
- -Watch a sunset or sunrise.
- -Take up running or cycling as a way to spend more time outdoors.
- -Reminisce with someone about pleasant memories.
- -Decide to help another recovering addict and be a sponsor or mentor for them.
- -Get involved in a charity to help make the world a better place.
- -Take someone out to dinner.
- -Start a blog about your experience of addiction and recovery.
- -Have a piece of chocolate.
- -Start journaling and write a memoir about your life experiences.
- -Go to a museum and celebrate art.
- -Attend an event in your neighborhood and make friends with neighbors.
- -Dive into playing an instrument that you love.
- -Spend time with friends and family.
- -Give support to a complete stranger.
- -Let yourself indulge in a dessert you love.
- -Stay connected to a recovery group, which sometimes puts on social events.
- -Go out dancing.
- -Get creative.
- -Join a sports club and celebrate achievements with your peers.
- -Make a list of what you are grateful for in life.
It can be challenging at first to find the excitement in life, but it’s there if you look for it. A person doesn’t have to get high or drunk in order to feel life’s exhilaration. If you’re looking for some excitement, try one of the above suggestions in order to spice up life the sober way. However, if you’re feeling cravings and a strong pull to drink or use drugs in order to have fun, contact a mental health provider or your sponsor. Boost your recovery support so that you can stay sober and find ways to have fun without substances.
If you are reading this on any blog other than NuLifeRecovery.com, it is stolen content without credit.
You can find us on Twitter via @nulife_recovery and Facebook via NuLife Addiction Treatment.
Come and visit our blog at http://nuliferecovery.com/blog/.